Why choose a career in Health Information Management?
Healthcare is a fascinating field that is growing every day. Since the beginning of time, healthcare professionals have strived to perfect the quality of care across multiple disciplines. The passion devoted to quality has to lead to career opportunities, such as those found in Health Information Management. Health Information Management also known as HIM covers a broad range of specialties from compliance, revenue cycle, health informatics, and so much more.
What skills does a Health Information professional need to have?
- Diagnostic Coding (ICD-9)
- Procedural Coding (CPT)
- HCPCS Coding
- ICD-10 Coding
- Electronic Medical Records Software Applications
- Records Management
- Release of Information
- Coding Auditing
- Reimbursement/Revenue Cycle Practices
- Quality Management and Performance Improvement for HITM Departments
- Managing HITM Statistics
- HIPAA Compliance, Privacy, and Confidentially Methodologies
- Health Data Content Management
In addition to the above-listed skills, the graduate will acquire the necessary skills to enable them to become more competitive in the market, such skills as:
· Electronic medical record program management
· Support the transition from paper to electronic health record information
· Future Supervision of Health Information Technologists
· Student will also participate in an 80-hour on-site externship at a medical facility, where they will be exposed to hands-on coding, electronic medical records, and several HITM Management principles.
What does a CHCP Health Information Management student do?
The ideal HIM candidate is someone who wants to make a difference without providing direct patient care. The coursework for the HITM Program at CHCP is 100% online with the exception of the 80-hour externship requirement. Our curriculum covers hot topics such as Healthcare Law and Ethics, Electronic Health Record Management, and Coding and Reimbursement methodologies, which provide students with a competitive advantage in the career market.
Upon successful completion of course work, students become eligible to begin the Professional Practice Experience. The Professional Practice Experience is a required 80-hour externship where students apply their knowledge and skills and acquire hands-on experience under the supervision of qualified health care professionals. The Professional Practice Experience gives students the opportunity to enhance their technical skills as well as build their confidence as they transition from student to HIM professionals.
The Online Career Services staff prepares students for the world of work by assisting with resume preparation, interviewing techniques, and career placement. CHCP is your one-stop shop, providing quality education, externship, and career success.